Sunday, July 13, 2008

One week down...

So the first week is over. I think I have like 22 more if I counted correctly. I think it went well. If anything I had a lot of people give me some great ideas and tips for how to do this thing. I am sore in a lot of places and thinking that if I don't be careful I may be all taped up by the time December gets here. But all in all I am confident that I can do this, but it does feel like I am stepping into a whole different world.
Let me just enlighten you all on a few things that have confused me, made me laugh and inspired me in this new world of running.
1. I have been running at this park that I sincerely thought was 1 mile around the track. Little did I know that you have to run all of the way around and then another 1/4. Boo. That makes me sad as I realize of the times I have ran "a mile" when in all reality that was a fraud. They should tell the people!! I may commit a small crime of being a vandal as I may spray paint it on a sign. Is it vandalism or being a good Samaritan when you are helping others?
2. Some people need to run with their shirts on. Sometimes people who workout think that just because they are working out they all of the sudden look fantastic in just a sports bra. Not true! Keep the curtains closed!
3. I should always run with other people around. I find that I love to pass those ladies who walk after a day at the office, people walking their dog, and those sports bra girls. Other people keep me moving. Even though we're not really in a "race" I can still pretend we are. (I know those people are slow, I should pass them, you're right-but still, I need to win!)
4. I wish I had longer legs. I ran today around the Tech rec center. I was doing good passing some walkers then all of the sudden comes "MBA man". Well that is what his shirt said, so that was his name to me. He didn't even look tired as I saw him on each of his laps. If I had his legs, well I would look weird, but I would probably be able to cover a lot of ground as fast as he did.
5. The final note: I keep seeing "old running man". He can't be that old since he is still moving, but he makes me want to run faster after he passes me so that I can tap him on the shoulder and ask for tips. I have seen him a few times, once at the "fraud" park and once on Tech's campus. He never looks tired and the last time I saw him he had a Lubbock Running Club t-shirt on, so I know he is good. I try to fix how I run when I see him. He always looks so relaxed, so I try to be relaxed even though I would love to just stop and lay in the grass. All in all he reminds me of what it will be like when this is more fun than painful.
So wish me luck as I continue my journey into this new world. And thanks again for humoring me!
Lindsey

2 comments:

Micah and Colby Malouf said...

Agreed about keeping the curtains closed! You are so brave to try to run a marathon!

Jensen and Jamie said...

I love your thoughts :) I wish I was running beside you and we could talk about the people together ;) Although, I remember our runs outside our apartment--and I don't think I can even talk when I run. ha ha. Good luck girl :)