This weekend was the Race for the Cure here in Lubbock. First and foremost, let me say that I think this is a wonderful event and supports a great cause. I have to say that I was prepared physically for the race, but was not ready mentally. When I got to the race there were so many different people. Some people where there to walk and some were there to run. Some looked like they have been running for awhile and some had been running for awhile to the fridge and back. Grant decided that he would stay with me and not run ahead. I appreciated that, but I wish I told him that during the race I needed someone to put things in perspective. Running in packs are for the birds! I wanted to trip some people so that they wouldn't finish before me, but then I remembered that this race is in the name of being nice to others, so I had to get rid of that idea. I had better get my act together before the mini-marathon, or tripping might be a last resort for me. I need to remember that I am racing against myself and no one else. That is a fact that is hard to remember. I need to remember to have fun and if I get to stressed by the people next to me I will just have to start running like Phoebe on Friends, or some dear friends that will remain nameless.
Today, my friend Meredith and I (shout out!) decided to run some hills. So we went to the cross-country track. She had a good and challenging 2 mile run that would be super for us. However, the minute we got out of the car it began to pour and we decided we didn't want to deal with the mud. So we then decided to go to campus and maybe it wouldn't be raining there...and it wasn't! So we got out of the car started running, and it started sprinkling, then a little bit farther into the run, it began to rain a bit harder. By the end of our 3 miles, it was pouring. It looked as if we just go into a pool or the shower with our clothes on. Ridiculous idea, but very fun and a run that we will remember for a lifetime. That is what I needed, a bit of fun, something different and a little bit stupid. (P.S.- It was lightening a bit, and you may remember I do not like to run in lightening.)
I would like to send a special shout out to my brother-in-law Neil!! Thanks for reading!! There are no Blanche updates as I did not run my normal route this morning, but I did see her last weekend biking away, so good news, she is still alive! No Mechanic Man (AKA Albert) lately. His garage has been open, but not sighting. Oh and just on a side note, I know I have talked about how slow I run and here is just another example...Mosquitoes, which are horrible here and large like flies, apparently fly faster than me because I received several bites Thursday evening. I mean really...mosquitoes?
Sunday, October 5, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I bought new running shoes to inspire me to run, or just get on the elliptical in the garage...it's working. Speaking of the shoes, Nike makes super cool shoes that someone track steps on your I-Pod...I have no idea how, but I have the shoes. Sorry, got off topic...just a note to say, I totally got eaten by the pesky mosqitoes, too! I just watched where there is West Nile in Lubbock County...eeks.
Okay, you are a little behind in your blogging...when's the marathon...I miss reading!!!
Post a Comment