Saturday, January 10, 2009

I did it!!




This is Amber and I before the race.




Ok, it has been a few weeks since the race and I should have updated this as soon as I finished, but better late than never I suppose.



So on December 14th my friend Amber and I and several thousands of other people decided to run around Dallas. It was so crazy. We started and finished at the American Airlines Center. It was super windy and a bit chilly but it ended up being a great day to run. During the first I guess 7 miles I felt great. I was just having the time of my life and was so glad I had decided to do this. The people who cheered us along the way were great and our names were on our bibs so they could cheer for each of us individually if they show chose. It was so thrilling to see people clapping and encouraging you even if they didn't know you. We ran through some beautiful parts of the city and since I hadn't ever spent any time there it was need to see the neighborhoods by foot. At about mile 10 my I-Pod stopped working and so did my mental focus. It was tough to carry on and when I attempted to walk it hurt so much I had to keep running. I tried to keep thinking of my normal 3-mile route and how easy I thought that was. It was nice to sort of reflect on who I have met and things I have seen along this journey to this race. At the finish, it was an amazing experience. There were so many people! As cheesy as it was, I got my picture at the finish with my medal...I really haven't ever won a medal before, so that meant something to me. I just tried to soak it all in. Now-Amber and I started the race together but we did not finish together. She finished an hour before me!! But I didn't care. I was just so glad to have been there together. When I met her afterwards I began to feel the pain of what I had just done to my legs...oh my! But it was a good pain. The ride home made that pain a little more intense, but it was all worth it.


I am kind of addicted now, I would love to do another one. I have taken a bit of time off, or at least still running but not every single day. I think though that this habit is something I will carry into the future. It just makes you feel that much better.



Amber and me after the race.

1 comment:

Micah and Colby Malouf said...

Impressive! I'm so excited for you!!!